[R] R-2.0.1 Gentoo g77 problem

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 9 19:21:09 CET 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Gabriel Rossetti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use Gentoo and I can't get R 2.0.1 to compile. I used the portage
> system, Gentoo's source package sytem, and after it uncompresses the
> source to R, it says that I don't have a fortran compiler. It told me to
> use f77 flag and re-emerge gcc, which I did with the f77 and fortran
> flags, but it still won't compile. Does anyone have any ideas? I suspect
> that gcc has changed it's interworkings, because if I do a gcc -v it
> says that I can compile fortran(f77) programs, but I don't have g77. If
> anyone has any ideas or workarounds, it would be great. I really need it
> for a P&S class. Thanks!

After experiencing similar problems and noticing that g77 was nowhere to
be found, I symlinked /usr/bin/g77 --> /usr/bin/gcc.

R then built and passed 'make check'.

Surely there is something wrong with my approach that this hack is needed,
but figuring out what is wrong is not high on my list...

BTW, I build R outside of portage and install R into /usr/local to avoid
the lag between Gentoo ebuilds and the current R-release.

Chuck

> Gabriel
>
> My gcc version is :
> gcc version 3.3.5  (Gentoo Linux 3.3.5-r1, ssp-3.3.2-3, pie-8.7.7.1)
> --

Charles C. Berry                        (858) 534-2098
                                          Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu	         UC San Diego
http://hacuna.ucsd.edu/members/ccb.html  La Jolla, San Diego 92093-0717