[R] R-2.0.1 Gentoo g77 problem

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 10 00:08:04 CET 2005

Dimakos said:

> As I pointed out in a private message to the original poster, g77 is not
> found in the gentoo system.  However, the system does provide f2c which
  [ Dimakos' full text below]

It IS found on my gentoo system:

bash-2.05b$ g77 -fversion
GNU Fortran (GCC) 3.3.5  (Gentoo Linux 3.3.5-r1, ssp-3.3.2-3, pie-8.7.7.1)
[snip]

This is where portage puts it:

------------------------

bash-2.05b$ locate g77

[stuff deleted]

/usr/share/gcc-data/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu/3.3.5/man/man1/g77.1.gz
/usr/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.3.5/g77
/usr/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.3.5/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-g77

[more stuff deleted]

bash-2.05b$ locate f771
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu/3.3.5/f771

------------------------

As someone else noted you have to set the USE flags to
include 'f77' or 'g77' and emerge gcc.

But setting USE = f77 did not leave a link or copy of g77 in /usr/bin.
Hence, the symlink referred to in my message below.

Apparently, Gabriel and I are not the only ones to come up against this.
There are a number of discussions like this one:

 	http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=266985

where the solution was to copy or symlink /usr/bin/gcc to /usr/bin/g77.

Chuck

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Dimakos Ioannis wrote:

>> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I use Gentoo and I can't get R 2.0.1 to compile. I used the portage
>>> system, Gentoo's source package sytem, and after it uncompresses the
>>> source to R, it says that I don't have a fortran compiler. It told me to
>>> use f77 flag and re-emerge gcc, which I did with the f77 and fortran
>>> flags, but it still won't compile. Does anyone have any ideas? I suspect
>>> that gcc has changed it's interworkings, because if I do a gcc -v it
>>> says that I can compile fortran(f77) programs, but I don't have g77. If
>>> anyone has any ideas or workarounds, it would be great. I really need it
>>> for a P&S class. Thanks!
>>

>> After experiencing similar problems and noticing that g77 was nowhere to
>> be found, I symlinked /usr/bin/g77 --> /usr/bin/gcc.
>>
>> R then built and passed 'make check'.
>
> As I pointed out in a private message to the original poster, g77 is not
> found in the gentoo system.  However, the system does provide f2c which
> will translate fortran to C code and then R-2.0.1 passes configure, and
> make and make check and make install and everything
>
> HTH,
>
> ICD
>
> --
> Ioannis C. Dimakos
> University of Patras
> Department of Elementary Education
> Patras, GR-26500 GREECE
> http://www.elemedu.upatras.gr/dimakos/
> http://yannishome.port5.com/
>
> --
> Ioannis C. Dimakos
> University of Patras
> Department of Elementary Education
> Patras, GR-26500 GREECE
> http://www.elemedu.upatras.gr/dimakos/
> http://yannishome.port5.com/

Charles C. Berry                        (858) 534-2098
                                          Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu	         UC San Diego
http://hacuna.ucsd.edu/members/ccb.html  La Jolla, San Diego 92093-0717