[R] Re: [Rd] dealing with package bundles

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 10 17:29:21 CET 2005

"Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com> writes:

> Given the confusions that some users have regarding package bundles, I'd
> like to suggest some changes to how package bundles are handled.

I wonder if a guideline of naming packages bundles in a manner that
identifies them as bundles would help?

An example of what I'm thinking: gregmisc-bundle_x.y.z.tar.gz

Then users could (once familiar with the convention) know when they
are dealing with a bundle.

Such a name scheme fits with my understanding of bundles: they provide
a mechanism to download and install multiple packages at once.  After
installation there is no notion of bundle.  One doesn't call library
on a bundle (and I think that is a good thing).

Best,

+ seth