[R] non-derivative based optimization and standard errors.

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 24 16:21:50 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Jean Eid wrote:

> The problem is that it is a very complicated model and bootstrap will
> probably take months. The objective function itself is making use of Monte
> Carlo simulation because it is next to impossible to get at a closed form
> solution (of the objective function itself). So I simulate this function
> and get its expectation and match that to data. I thought of doing a
> bootstrap but it will take so much time. I guess if this is the only way,
> then it has to be done.

If the objective function is discontinuous it is entirely possible that
the bootstrap will not work.  If the bootstrap does work, there are some
recent methods by LJ Wei and colleagues that avoid some of the
computation.  I don't know if they will help -- I do remember when
listening to a talk on the subject that they would only be helpful when
certain parts of the problem are much harder than others, but I'm not
sure which parts.

 	-thomas