[R] trouble with help.start()

Sat Mar 26 04:52:51 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 22:23 -0500, John Sorkin wrote:
> R 2.0.1 running on Linux Core 3.
>
> I am having trouble running the HTML help system.
> When I issue the command help.start() as a "normal" users I receive the
> following messssage
>
> > help.start()
> Making links in per-session dir ...
> If /usr/bin/firefox is already running, it is *not* restarted, and you
>     must switch to its window.
> Otherwise, be patient ...
> > Error: No running window found
> *** ExtensionManager:_updateManifests: no access privileges to
> application directory, skipping.
>
> When I issue the command as root everything works fine. I suspect the
> problem is related to file rights, but I do not know which file I do not
> have rights to. Any help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks
> John

A Google search would suggest that the error may be the result of having
installed a Firefox extension as root, that you do not have access
privileges to as a regular user. The message indicating that the Firefox
extension manager is attempting to load or initialize the extension and
cannot do so.

You might want to open Firefox as root, check to see what extensions are
loaded, remove them, and then reload them as your regular username, if
you determine that you want them available.

Some posts found during the search suggest that this may be unique to
particular extensions that do not properly set access rights during
installation. If you have the time, you might want to test the installed
extensions one by one to see if you can isolate which one is problematic
and then report the bug to the extension author.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz