[R] Roots of quadratic system.

Bill.Venables@csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Mon May 2 02:20:11 CEST 2005

Are you looking for a unique solution or families of solutions?

Can't you turn a root-finding problem for a system of equations
with a unique solution into an optimisation problem, anyway?

E.g.  You want to solve

f1(x) = g1
f2(x) = g2

Why not optimise L(x) = (f1(x) - g1)^2 + (f2(x) - g2)^2 + ...
with respect to x?  If the minimum value is zero, then you are
done; if it is greater than zero your original system does not
have a solution.

If you are in the complex domain the changes needed are obvious.

V.