[R] Roots of quadratic system.

John Janmaat john.janmaat at acadiau.ca
Mon May 2 02:51:56 CEST 2005

Hello Bill,

I have used the optimization approach you suggest in past.  I was hoping
that someone had written something specifically for solving a system of
nonlinear equations, as the fsolve function does in MatLab.  The Octave
version is somewhat limited compared to the MatLab version, and I like
working in R.

Thanks,

John.

ps: I would like the system to have a unique solution, but there is
nothing about the system that precludes multiple equilibria.  Of course,
the L(x) = ... approach can search for multiple equilibria if I try
enough different starting points.