[R] Unbundling gregmisc (was: loading gap package)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed May 4 17:20:42 CEST 2005

Warnes, Gregory R wrote:
> Let me redirect the topic a bit.  I've been considering unbundling gregmisc.
> The pro would be that people would find the component packages (i.e. gdata)
> more easily.  The con is that the packages have a number of
> interdependencies, so you pretty much will need to get most of them anyway.
>
> As the latest gregmisc bundle contains a gregmisc package that is just a
> stub that depends on and loads the individual packages, there would still be
> a gregmisc object.
>
> Comments?

Currently R can follow dependencies when you install a package from CRAN
(and this is the default in Windows, not sure about other platforms), so
I'd say this would be a good thing to do.  I don't know your revision
history on the components, but I'd guess some change more often than
others, so there'll be no need to update all of them every time one of
them changes.

Duncan Murdoch