[R] string syntactic sugar in R? - long post

James Bullard bullard at berkeley.edu
Sat May 7 11:27:45 CEST 2005

The other thing to use is 'sprintf', which would be fantastic in R if it imputed types based on the format string.

As it is now, for your query you would do:

> sprintf("SELECT %s FROM table WHERE date = '%s'", "column", "2005-10-12")
[1] "SELECT column FROM table WHERE date = '2005-10-12'"

Which, in my opinion is nicer than the corresponding paste, and about as nice as gstring. The issue that I always have with sprintf is when I use numbers, specifically integers. As the function is just a wrapper for the C function  and because numbers are implicitly doubles the following doesnt work:

>  sprintf("SELECT %s FROM table WHERE age = %d", "column", 1)
Error in sprintf("SELECT %s FROM table WHERE age = %d", "column", 1) :
        use format %f, %e or %g for numeric objects

It does work however if you do

> sprintf("SELECT %s FROM table WHERE age = %d", "column", as.integer(1))
[1] "SELECT column FROM table WHERE age = 1"

This however, is not so nice - are there reasons why this has to be like this? This might be naive but I would think it would be pretty simple in R to do this automatically. Thanks for any insight.

jim