[R] DEV2bitmap: jpeg with res=400 not enough for CORELDRAW poster A0

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri May 13 12:38:10 CEST 2005

Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Jan Verbesselt wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> > When saving a plot with the dev2bitmap command:
> >     name    <- c("test.jpeg")
> >     dev2bitmap(name,type="jpeg",height=8,width=13,res=400)
> > Everything seems to be ok... After importing this picture in
> > CORELDRAW (for
> > a poster A0) format the resolution and colors are not optimal.
> > How can I save pictures (colors/resolution) optimally for import into
> > CorelDraw for an A0 poster?
> > Pdf?/tiff?/bmp?/
>
> What about PostScript? It's perfectly resizable and CorelDraw (at
> least the outdated version 10) can deal with it.

But not PDF? Notice that this is not really bitmapped either, even
though handled by dev2bitmap.

Upping the res= is another option, but may be memory intensive. Notice
that A0 is 4 times as big as A4 (~8x12 inches) so you'd need up to 4
times the resolution - but I guess that your plot is not taking up the
whole area...