[R] memory and step()

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon May 16 19:48:33 CEST 2005

Dimitri Joe wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to perform a step(), using variables from a data set with 32.000 observations. The upper model is not so long  - (x1 + x2 + x3)^2 - where x1...x3 are the explanatory variables. Yet, I got a memory problem when performing it. The message is the following:
>
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 26859 Kb
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: Reached total allocation of 246Mb: see help(memory.size)
> 2: Reached total allocation of 246Mb: see help(memory.size)
>
> I tried to see "help(memory.size)", but that was not too enlightening. As I am not familiar with these memory problems, I am asking for your help. What should I do so that I can perform this (and many others) step( )? I am under Windows XP, using a P4 2.00 GHz with 256 Mb of RAM.

memory.limit(512) will give you 512 Mb, if your system has enough swap
space, BUT it will slow down dramatically!

See also the more detailed help page ?Memory.

My recommendation is: Buy a 512 Mb module for a few $, 256Mb is really
not much these days.
Hmm, my 4.5 year old laptop already has 256Mb (cannot be increased - and
this is the only point why I am looking fo a new one).

Uwe Ligges