[R] R annoyances

Jan T. Kim jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk
Fri May 20 15:42:57 CEST 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 08:14:24AM -0400, Liaw, Andy wrote:
> > From: Robin Hankin

> > impediment.
> > >
> > > True, particularly since I'm not too likely to use these
> > variables for
> > > (local)
> > > functions, and variables of other types don't prevent
> > functions from
> > > working.
> > > (I thought this was a problem... I must be spoilt by
> > recently having
> > > to read
> > > too much Matlab code, where parentheses are used to both enclose
> > > subscripts and
> > > parameter lists, thus rendering subscript expressions and function
> > > calls
> > > syntactically indistinguishable.)
> >

> > Heh, I'm a recovering Matlab  user too.  This is sooooooooooo true!
> >
> > In Matlab:
> >
> > f(10)    # function f() evaluated at 10
> > f(10)    # 10th element of vector f.  confusing!!
> >
> > R uses round brackets in two unrelated ways:
> >
> >   4*(1+2)  --- using "(" and ")" to signify grouping
> > f(8)  function f() evaluated at 8.
> >
> > where there is no reason to use the same parenthesis symbol for both
> > tasks.
>
> The same is done in Fortran/C/C++/Java/Python and God knows how many
> others...

And this is different from the subscripting / function call ambiguity,
as these languages (to the extent I know them) are designed such that
parentheses for precedence control are syntactically distinguishable
from those used for function parameter lists: If the opening parenthesis
is preceded by an identifier, that identifier is a function name and
the parenthesis opens a parameter list.

(Python is a somewhat messy case, though, because it uses parentheses
for tuples too.)

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |