[R] R annoyances

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri May 20 15:37:02 CEST 2005

Hello,
Regarding use of parenthesis, it is true that R is much better with
f(10) != f[10] != f[[10]], where Matlab is a little confusing. Also, in
Matlab, you can use some functions without (), further adding to the
confusion (the only example that comes to my mind in R is the use of '?'
as shortcut for help()).

However, there is still a double use of () in R: it is both used for
enclosing function arguments and for grouping operations. One language
has a syntax that makes a totally unambiguous use of [], () and {} is
Mathematica: [] is for subscript, {} is for function arguments and () is
for grouping... but Mathematica code is really a pain to typeset and read.

So, all in all, I really like the S langage syntax: it is very readable
and reasonably rigid...

Regarding T and F, I took the habit to *always* type them TRUE or FALSE.
Again, very readable and not confusing at all. If T and F as equivalent
to TRUE and FALSE would ever be deprecated and then defunct in further
versions of R, well, I would not complain about it!

The only aspect I don't like is a too loosely use of the dot in
functions: both in functions names, in object classes and in generic
functions / methods. Hence, we have for instance: 'data.frame',
'help.search' and 'summary.matrix'... just guess which one is an object
class, which one is an ordinary function and which one is a S3 method
(OK, S4 solves somehow the problem)? It would have been much better to
*reserve* the use of a dot in a function name as a separator between the
name of the generic function and the class to which it applies. Thus,
'summary.matrix' would have been correct, but both 'data.frame' and
'help.search' should have been spelled differently, perhaps 'dataframe'
and 'helpSearch'. Just a dream... because 'data.frame' will of course
never be spelled differently!!!
Best,

Philippe Grosjean