[R] images and maps in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat May 28 15:27:44 CEST 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Don MacQueen wrote:

> This is is not difficult from the online help for the map() function.
> Here is an example.
>
> map('state', region = c('new york', 'new jersey', 'penn'),fill=TRUE,col=1:4)
>
> There is also an example there in how to add text to the map.
>
> Another way uses the maptools package.
>
> require(maptools)
> ?plot.Map
>
> and then follow the examples given in the help page for plot.Map().

Both for map() in the maps package and plot.Map() and plot.polylist() in
the maptools package, there are three things to sort out. Firstly, are the
map polygons the same, and in the same order as the data you want to map?
Next, which palette of colours do you want to use (the RColorBrewer
palettes are well-chosen)? And finally, which breakpoints will you use
for the class intervals to divide the data into colours?

If the breakpoints are brks:

cols <- brewer.pal(length(brks)-1, "your choice of palette)
col_choices <- findInterval(data, brks, all.inside=TRUE)

and your data are the same length and in the same order as the polygons,
thematic maps are not too difficult.