[R] R GUI for Linux?

Ernesto Jardim ernesto at ipimar.pt
Tue May 31 11:43:02 CEST 2005

Sander Oom wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> Warm felt sympathies for your struggles. I consider myself a happy GUI
> user and have also struggled with the 'command line' history and lack of
> out-of-the-box functionality associated with Linux. However, Linux does
> have many, many advantages over other OS's, so I will stick to it. That
> said, I am reluctantly suggesting it to others, as there are lots of
> other things one can do on a Saturday afternoon. ;-)
>
> After many long afternoons, I have come to the conclusion that accepting
> what comes as standard is the best approach to using Linux if you do
> have better things to do. I tried ESS, but I found it impenetrable at my
> first try, so gave up.
>
> I run SuSE linux and R without any problem. The RPM was downloaded from
> CRAN and installed without any errors. I run update.packages to
> download, install and refresh all contributed and other packages.
>
> I also looked for an R GUI, but must admit I stopped way before you did.
> I ended up using my favorite editor (Kate, comes standard with KDE) and
> cut and paste code into an R console (available as standard in the Kate
> window). Gives a nice clean window for writing code and running R. Of
> course Kate has code highlighting facilities (as standard). I soon
> realized that the console has a limited buffer for commands, such that
> long code sequences are abruptly ended part way through. Thus I have a
> second console open from which I source whole R files. The setup gives a
> relatively comfortable code debugging environment!
>
> I was amazed when I read the instruction for JGR on Linux. I thought the
> whole point of Java was to create platform independent software. I have
> given up on any instructions that tell me to run 'make'. Linux
> distributions are just to idiosyncratic for it to be worth the effort.
> I'll just wait until Novell packs JGR with the new version of SuSE
> Linux. Even if I have to pay something for the added bonus!
>
> Will keep following the GUI developments with interest,
>
> Sander.
>

> White, Charles E WRAIR-Wash DC wrote:
>
>> I feel your pain. <grin> I am a new Linux user who has spent most of
>> the weekend trying to get a functional R setup. When I installed
>> Fedora Core 3 (FC3) on my home computer, I thought using R in a
>> terminal would be a snap. I installed R using the rpm packages and
>> tried to use it with the FC3 default terminal (GNOME Terminal 2.7.3).
>> Before long, I found out the terminal was rudely discarding output
>> beyond a set number of lines. I could increase the number of lines
>> kept by the terminal but that didn't strike me as an acceptable
>> solution. Cutting to my stress relieving intermediate solution, I am
>> currently using xemacs with ESS as my R programming environment under
>> FC3. Eventually, I will want to run JGR as my programming environment
>> and Rcmdr as both a teaching tool and means to distribute code to some
> [...]

Hi Charles,

I'm pretty much inline with Chuck. I use Nedit for the last 2/3 years to
edit R files and source them into R and I'm pretty much convinced that
it is the best way to use R.

ESS looks very good but why should I load more than 30MB on the memory
to work on a text file ? and why do I need to lear all the tricks and
features of emacs just to edit a text file ?

JGR looks very good but it does not really give anything new, once
you're used with the command line.

Regards

EJ