[R] R GUI for Linux?

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Tue May 31 12:19:44 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 10:43 +0100, Ernesto Jardim wrote:

> ESS looks very good but why should I load more than 30MB on the memory
> to work on a text file ? and why do I need to lear all the tricks and
> features of emacs just to edit a text file ?

With emacs tricks you perhaps refer to four-finger key combinations that
even gave name to emacs: it's supposed to be an acronym for Esc-Meta-
Alt-Ctrl-Shift (say the enemies). However, you don't need those tricks.
The only ones you need are Alt-x R to start R in ESS, and Esc-p to go
back in command history -- these at least are the only ones I use,
although I know people who really like acrobatic key combinations (I
don't). All the rest is in the menus -- even in ordinary GNU Emacs (and
also in its MacOS X and Windows ports). Installing ESS may be more
trouble with GNU Emacs, but if you use Debian based distributions (like
Ubuntu), you can directly install a deb package for ess (I once found an
rpm for ESS as well, but that's not official nor standard). I avoid
XEmacs, but people say things are even easier there.

I'd suggest you try Emacs + ESS + R. It is really good and likable.
Emacs is much more user friendly than it used to be some decade ago.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi>