[R] RODBC error

tom wright tom at maladmin.com
Wed Nov 2 12:00:56 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-11 at 07:55 +1000, Evan Sergeant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope that someone can help me with the following problem with RODBC
> connection to a MySQL database
>
> I am running R version 2.2.0 on windows XP, and have the MySQL database
> registered in Windows ODBC.
>
> I have set up a web interface on my personal ISS web server using PhP
> to accept input values and then call Rterm with an R script to access
> the database and return a summary of the analysed data.
>
> This works perfectly if I run it from Rgui, or if I run Rterm from the
> dos prompt using the same command line arguments, but returns an RODBC
> error (below) when calling Rterm from the web interface
>
> 1: [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [Microsoft][ODBC Driver
> Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
>
> There appears to be some problem with recognising the database when
> called from the web page, even though it is not a problem at any other
> times.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to overcome this
> error
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> cheers
>
> Evan Sergeant
Evan,
It sounds like your problem is occuring when you try to access the
database as a different user than yourself. Its been a while since I've
been familiar with ms systems but IRC pws runs as its own user
(ISUSR_...???). At the very least you will have to ensure that the
datasource is registered as a system DSN not a user DSN. Appart from
that you may run into other issues with access privileges.

good luck
tom