[R] Error message: " The following object(s) are masked"

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Nov 4 09:00:15 CET 2005

Ettinger, Nicholas wrote:

> Hello!
>
> First time posting here:
>
> Here is my code:
>
> x <- c(1:22)
> finaloutput=cidrm=NULL
> finaldiversityoutput=diversitym=NULL
>
> diversityinfo=read.table("Diversity_info.txt", header=T, sep="\t",
> row.names=NULL)
> attach(diversityinfo)
> diversitynr=nrow(diversityinfo)
> diversitytemp <- matrix(0,nrow=diversitynr,ncol=1)
>
> for(j in 1:length(x))
> {
> diversitym=read.table(paste(paste("Div-Chr",x[j],
> sep=""),"_corr.txt",sep=""), header=T, sep="\t", row.names=NULL)
> attach(diversitym)
> diversitytemp <- cbind(diversitytemp,diversitym)
> print(paste(paste("Diversity-Chrom",x[j], sep=""),".txt",sep=""))
> print(dim(diversitytemp))
> }
>
> I am essentially trying to combine several tab-delimited text data files
> together into one big file.
>
> I recently upgraded to R 2.2.0.  I now get multiple error messages of
> the form:
> The following object(s) are masked from diversitym ( position 4 ) :
>
>          X X.1 X.2

These are *Warning* messges, not errors.

You are using attach but never detach in your loop. Each attach masks
the objects you have attached formerly, because there are the same names
in it, obviously.

Your code works as before, but you should not use attach without
detaching. I'd suggest not to use attach() at all unless you know what
you are doing and it really improved convenience in interactive analyses.

Uwe Ligges