[R] read.table error with R 2.2.0

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Thu Nov 10 00:15:26 CET 2005

Florence Combes wrote:

>Thanks a lot for your answer.
>In fact I found the solution, it's seems strange to me so I put it here if
>it could bu useful for other people ...
>
>I have the same as you
>

>>getAnywhere("read.table")$where
>>

>[1] "package:base" "namespace:base"
>

>>getAnywhere("read.table.default")$where
>>

>character(0)
>
>when I run it in a "native" R console, and the line :
>param<-read.table(file="param.dat",sep ="\t",header=TRUE,fill=TRUE,
>na.strings="NA")
>
>works very well. (I didn't test this before).
>

>BUT when I load the aroma package (which I need for what I want to do), then
>I have :
>

>>getAnywhere("read.table")$where
>>

>[1] "package:aroma"
>[2] "package:base"
>[3] "registered S3 method for read from namespace base"
>[4] "namespace:base"
>

>>getAnywhere("read.table.default")$where
>>

>[1] "package:aroma" "registered S3 method for read"
>
>and the "read.table" didn't work.
>
>So I reinstall the aroma package (even if I had the latest version) and it
>works well now).
>
>best regards,
>
>Florence.

Hi, author of aroma here.  This was fixed a few months ago.  From
showHistory(aroma):
Version: 0.84 [2005-07-01]
o BUG FIX: GenePixData$read() would give "Error in read.table.default(...
  ...): 5 arguments passed to 'readTableHead' which requires 6".

What I have done/did is that I created a read.table.QuantArrayData()
function, rename base::read.table() to read.table.default() and made
read.table() generic.  This should make things rather backward
compatible.  When I looked at my source code history, the reason for
this was:

# 2002-08-18
# o Since the 'Measurements' section in QuantArray files seems to contain
#   rows with tailing TAB's (that just should be ignored) read.table() fails
#   to read them. read.table() is making use of scan() and scan() has the
#   argument 'flush' which flushes such trailing cells, but it is not used
#   by read.table(). For this reason I created the static read.table()
#   method of QuantArrrayData which has the 'flush' argument.

I other words, I just added the argument 'flush=FALSE' to
read.table[.QuantArrayData]() and passes 'flush=flush' to its internal
calls to scan().  I'll send R-devel a note and see if it is possible to
add this argument to the default read.table().  However, everything
should work correctly as it is now.

Cheers

Henrik