[R] Replace missing values in spatial design using moving average

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Nov 16 13:00:18 CET 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Arnaud Dowkiw wrote:

> Dera R helpers,
>
> I have a (x,y,z) data file where x and y are spatial coordinates and z a
> variable. I have some missing values in the z column and I would like to
> replace them with an optimized estimation from the neighbour cells. I could
> not find any function in R to do that. Is anybody aware of such function ?
> Maybe someone knows how to implement the Papadakis method in R...
> Thanks for your help,

I'm not sure about the Papadakis method, I don't think it is there, though
could be implemented using standard tools. Ripley (1981) relates the
method to SAR and CAR models, but predicting with them is far from easy
(there are papers by Martin from the 1980's about this). Are
geostatistical methods an option for you? That is, what is the support of
your cells?