[R] RODBC help

Keith Sabol sabolk at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 16 18:57:07 CET 2005

I am using the RODBC package to read data from an Excel file. An excerpt of
the file looks like this:
00103V206	AES Corporation	6.00%	42.87
00808N202	AES Trust III	6.75%	34.98
03748R861	Apartment Investment & Management	9.00%	#ERROR (I)
039380209	Arch Coal, Inc.	5.00%	61.51

My problem appears to be related to specification of data types by column.
For instance, the CUSIPS in column 1 are read in correctly when they contain
a letter, but as NA when they are purely numbers.  Similarly, in the fourth
column the rows with "#ERROR (I)" are read in as such, but all other values
become NA.

I have experimented with "as.is" but have not been able to arrive at a
solution.  I also changed the nullstrings return value and each of the NAs
generated above appear to be genrated by the query "seeing" null strings.

As always, your assistance is most appreciated.