[R] Newton-Raphson

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Nov 22 03:43:22 CET 2005

	  I just got 37 hits from 'RSiteSearch("solve nonlinear equation")',
many of which seem relevant to your question.  If none of these seem to
answer your question, submit another question.  (Before you submit
another question, however, I suggest you read the posting guide!
"www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".  It may increase the speed and
utility of responses.)

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves
p.s.  See also uniroot.  One common meaning of the word "score" in
statistics in the first derivative of a log(likelihood).  If you also
have that log(likelihood), then "optim", "nlminb", and "nlm" might
interest you.  With a vector function to set to zero over vector inputs,
I typically write a simple function to compute the sum of squares and
then give that to "optim".  If none of these suggestions meet your
needs, please be more explicity.

Zhu, Chao (UMC-Student) wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I want to solve a score function by using Newton-Raphson algorithm.
Is there such a fucntion in R? I know there's one called optim, but
it seems only doing minimizing or maximizing.

> Thanks,
>
> Jimmy

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer