[R] Portable R?

David Mitchell monch1962 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 05:11:45 CET 2005

Thanks guys,

Dirk: I generally resort to using my laptop for R analysis, but it
usually involves dragging loads of data multiple times between a
customer system and my laptop.  Moving large amounts of data in this
fashion can be a problem, particularly when there's sensitivity issues
about the data itself.

I've used Quantian in the past, and I've customised my own Knoppix
CDs, but ideally I'd like to run *my* tools (i.e. R) on *their* system
so I'm not having to deal with the logistical and security issues that
come with moving data around between systems.

I didn't realise that the Windows version of R was "relocatable" that
easily - I just assumed the install did something more complex than
that.  I'll try copying the R files to a USB key later today.

Thanks again

Dave M.