[R] Robust fitting

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Nov 28 20:42:45 CET 2005

Note:

As I believe Brian Ripley pointed out in his MASS book, loess may not be as
resistant to outliers (which is one aspect of robustness; robustness of
efficiency is another) as you think. The problem is that it starts off with
LS estimates and these can be so distorted by unusual values that the
reweighting cannot properly recover; i.e. convergence is to a local minimum
far from the desired global one. You might wish to read the documentation
for rlm() (in MASS, the package) and the appropriate sections of MASS, the
book.

Cheers,

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box