[R] Robust smoothing

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 29 09:18:16 CET 2005

  [Cross-posted to R-SIG-robust,
   the Special Interest Group (mailing list) on "Robustness and R"]

    BertG> Note: As I believe Brian Ripley pointed out in his
    BertG> MASS book, loess may not be as resistant to outliers
    BertG> (which is one aspect of robustness; robustness of
    BertG> efficiency is another) as you think. The problem is
    BertG> that it starts off with LS estimates and these can be
    BertG> so distorted by unusual values that the reweighting
    BertG> cannot properly recover; i.e. convergence is to a
    BertG> local minimum far from the desired global one.

indeed  {I've researched on that about 15 years ago as part of
my Ph.D.}.
I'm convinced that robust smoothing should be done quite
analogously to how (many agree) it should happen for parametric
regression:

1) initialized by a ``high breakdown'' (that's not a trivial notion when you do
   non-parametric curve estimation!) smoother;
2) From that compute residuals r_i  and compute  weights w_i := psi(r_i)/r_i
   typically for a redescending psi.
3) Now use these weights for the ``high efficiency'' smoother,
   e.g., smooth.spline(),
   maybe even without iterating {``1-step M-estimator'' idea}
   or then with iterating, i.e. reweighting.

For that reason, i.e. for being able to do "1)",
I had collected algorithms for fast running medians {quite some time ago}
and added the R function  runmed()  {running medians}
which should be very fast, particularly for large data where
it's of optimal complexity see  help(runmed).

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    BertG> You might wish to read the documentation for rlm() (in
    BertG> MASS, the package) and the appropriate sections of
    BertG> MASS, the book.

    BertG> Cheers,

    BertG> -- Bert Gunter Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
    BertG> South San Francisco, CA

    BertG> "The business of the statistician is to catalyze the
    BertG> scientific learning process."  - George E. P. Box