[R] Corrupted workspace(?)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Nov 30 19:51:42 CET 2005

On 11/30/2005 12:00 PM, giovanna jona lasinio wrote:
> Dear R helpers,
> I'm using R2.2 under windows XP professional on a Dell double processor
> workstation.
> I have a large (29Mb) workspace that I'm trying to load both, by double
> clicking and by direct load. The message I get is "Bad restore  file
> magic number (file may be corrupted)...". I believe that this is a
> consequence of a huge spike in the electrical system that my voltage
> regulator couldn't manage.
> I already searched the R mail archives and it seems I'm in big
> troubles... Does any one have a new idea on what I can do to recover it?

We don't have any tools for recovering a partially corrupted database.
This isn't much help to you now, but my usual advice is not to use
workspaces as the main storage for data or code.  Keep both in text
files, and back them up.

The storage format is documented in the src/main/serialize.c source code
file; if you feel like some hacking, you might be able to write a
recovery tool based on that.

Duncan Murdoch