[R] Getting eps into Word documents.

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Mon Oct 3 21:46:36 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 16:31 -0300, Rolf Turner wrote:
> A student in one of my courses has asked me about getting R graphics
> output (under Linux) into a Word document.  I.e. she wants to do her
> R thing under Linux, but then do her word processing using Word.
>
> Scanning around the r-help archives I encountered an inquiry about
> this topic --- eps into Word documents --- from Paul Johnson but
> found no replies to it.  I tried contacting him but the email address
> in the archives appeared not to be valid.  Does anyone know a
> satisfactory solution to the problem of including a graphic which
> exists in the form of a *.eps (encapsulated postscript) file into a
> Word document.  If so, would you be willing to share it with me and
> my student?
>
> If so, please be gentle in your explanation.  I am not myself (repeat
> ***NOT***) a user of Word!

Hehe...  :-)

Rolf, just use the guidance provided in ?postscript. In the details
section it indicates:

     The postscript produced by R is EPS (_Encapsulated PostScript_)
     compatible, and can be included into other documents, e.g., into
     LaTeX, using '\includegraphics{<filename>}'.  For use in this way
     you will probably want to set 'horizontal = FALSE, onefile =
     FALSE, paper = "special"'.

So use something like the following:

postscript("RPlot.eps", height = 4, width = 4,
           horizontal = FALSE, onefile = FALSE,
           paper = "special")

plot(1:5)

dev.off()

You can then import the .eps file into Word or most other such
applications that can import encapsulated postscript files.

The recent versions of Word will also automatically generate a bitmapped
preview of the plot upon import.  BTW, OO.org 2.0, which is in late beta
testing now, also generates EPS preview images upon import.

The key to doing this successfully is using the arguments to
postscript() as defined above. I have never had a problem with this.

More information is available from MS here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290362

HTH,

Marc Schwartz