[R] blank graphics window while R is working

Dan Davison davison at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 6 18:54:25 CEST 2005

Dear R-help,

When R starts to execute some code, all the graphics windows
associated with that R session go blank, and remain blank until the R
prompt returns.

I am using the "ion" window manager
(http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/) under Debian linux.

I notice that under the gnome desktop environment with Fedora Core 4
linux, the graphics windows retain their images while R evaluates. Does
anyone else experience this problem or know of any solution, or is this
just an incompatibility between R and my (presumably somewhat uncommon)
window manager?

Thanks a lot,

Dan

p.s. the problem remains whether R is run via ESS or not.

> version
          _
platform i386-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i386