[R] How to install R 2.2.0 Debian 'unstable' package in otherwise 'sarge' system

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Oct 14 05:04:32 CEST 2005

Vincent,

On 13 October 2005 at 13:06, Vincent Goulet wrote:
| Le 12 Octobre 2005 18:03, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
| > i) In general, and especially between 'testing' and 'unstable', use
| > apt-pinning, explained in the apt-howto packages, esp apt-howto-en for
| > English; and on various places across the Net; try Google'ing for
| > apt-pinning.
|
| Dear Dirk,
|
| I'll jump in because I've been wondering how to do this for some time.
|
| Is there any way to pin a whole series of packages using wildcards? I can
| otherwise pin r-base and r-recommended, but the packages they depend on will
| not be pinned themselves.
|
| It thus seems the only way to have 'unstable' R packages on my 'testing'
| system is to list them all in /etc/apt/preferences. It is neither convenient
| nor "safe" since I will eventually miss unlisted packages.

Good question, and I don't have an answer.  This may be a question for
debian-user ...  On my machines, I have a local archive containing my builds
for Debian so I get packages such as R and the r-cran-* packages from there.

Amicalement,  Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'