[R] asking the user for data

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Oct 16 14:56:53 CEST 2005

Dear Iain,

There's an ask() function in the sm package that does what you want, but
you'll have to compose your message properly: ask(paste("Please enter the z
value for", x))

Alternatively, eval(parse(text=readline(paste("Please enter the z value for
", x, ": ", sep="")))) will do what you want, as would
as.numeric(readline(paste("Please enter the z value for ", x, ": ",
sep=""))).

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox