[R] Unix proxy and firewall problems

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 10:52:11 CEST 2005

>From ?download.file

      These environment variables must be set before the download code
      is first used: they cannot be altered later by calling
      'Sys.putenv'.

Also, Sys.putenv("http_proxy"="http...:8080") sets that to the value
in "" and not the value of a variable named that: for the latter you must
use `` quoting.  This is I suspect the actual failure cause.