[R] Digest reading is tedious

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 1 12:43:22 CEST 2005

Hi Trevor,

please excuse my late reply; your e-mail was sent when I started
travelling (to Seattle and the DSC and Bioconductor workshops there).

Also, I hope you don't mind if I follow this up on R-help, since
there, the thread started and this does related to it.

    Trevor> Dear Martin I may still be doing something wrong.
    Trevor> Here is what I see now in Mozilla Firefox (attached
    Trevor> jpeg file of screen dump)

isn't that "Thunderbird" ?
"Firefox" the web browser, "Thunderbird" the mail client?

    Trevor> This is still not the convenient layout I was
    Trevor> envisaging.  Ideally one would have the usual list
    Trevor> of contributions, with authors, and they would be
    Trevor> clickable

I've now looked at your screen shot and agree this is really not
satisfactory.
{In my good old Emacs VM mail reader things are different: all
 is nice with a virtual mail folder of individual messages}

Hmm, I've checked :
The MIME type used for the whole digest is
and then 'Content-Type: message/rfc822'
for each individual message.

Since there *are* mail clients that nicely support these MIME
types, I wonder why thunderbird does not.
I'd say this is clearly a deficiency in thunderbird;
or is it something you could optionally configure to it?

What are other readers' experiences with mailman mailing lists
in digest mode -- using "MIME" type delivery?

Regards,
Martin