[R] Multivariate Skew Normal distribution

Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen kjetil at acelerate.com
Thu Sep 1 23:39:24 CEST 2005

(Ted Harding) wrote:

>On 01-Sep-05 Caio Lucidius Naberezny Azevedo wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Could anyone tell me if there is any package (or function) that
>>generates values from a multivariate skew normal distribution?
>>
>>Thanks all,
>>
>>Caio
>>

>Hello, Caio
>
>Please tell us what you mean by "skew normal distribution".
>
>Since normal (i.e. gaussian) distributions are not skew, you

Well, but then somebody (Azzalini?) coined the term skew-normal, which
you can
read about at    http://azzalini.stat.unipd.it//SN
or simply do
library(help=sn) # after installing from CRAN.
This family is obtained by skewing a normal family, hence the name.
You can also skew a t -family or whatever other symmetric family you like.

I found this usefull for modelling.

Kjetil

>presumably mean something different from what you said, so
>unless we understand this more clearly  it is unlikely that
>anyone can make a suggestion which would meet your needs.
>
>With best wishes,
>Ted.

Kjetil Halvorsen.

Peace is the most effective weapon of mass construction.
               --  Mahdi Elmandjra

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.