[R] help.search problem

Uzuner, Tolga tolga.uzuner at csfb.com
Tue Sep 6 17:35:53 CEST 2005

Hi there,

I am using 2.0.1 . However, I was not having this problem with this version of R when I first installed it and started using it.

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried it, but that doesn't work either:

> help.search("tps")
Error in rbind(...) : number of columns of matrices must match (see arg 8)
> utils::help.search("tps")
Error in rbind(...) : number of columns of matrices must match (see arg 8)

Traceback results below:

    "Convert Sweave Syntax", "Sweave Driver Utilities", "Find Objects by (Partial) Name",
       "Browse Objects in Environment", "Load URL into a WWW Browser",
       "Send a Bug Report", "Send output to a character string or file",
       "Writing Package CITATION Files", "Citing R and R Packages in Publications",
       "Close a Socket", "Compare Two Package Version Numbers",
       "Data Sets", "Spreadsheet Interface for Entering Data", "Post-Mortem Debugging",
       "Demonstrations of R Functionality", "Download File from the Internet",
       "Invoke a Text Editor", "Edit Data Frames and Matrices",
       "Run an Examples Section from the Online Help", "Edit One or More Files",
       "Fix an Object", "Retrieve an R Object, Including from a Namespace",
       "Utility functions for Developing Namespaces", "Get An S3 Method",
       "Return the First or Last Part of an Object", "Documentation",
       "Search the Help System", "Hypertext Documentation", "Search Indices for Help Files",
       "Find Installed Packages", "List Objects and their Structure",
       "Create a Socket Connection", "Menu Interaction Function",
       "List Methods for S3 Generic Functions or Classes", "Report the Space Allocated for an Object",
       "Create a skeleton for a new package", "Package Description",
       "Package Management Tools", "Invoke a Pager on an R Object",
       "Person Names and Contact Information", "Produce Prototype of an R Documentation File",
       "Generate a Shell for Documentation of Data Sets", "Read fixed-format data",
       "Read Fixed Width Format Files", "Read from or Write to a Socket",
       "Browsing after an Error", "Remove Installed Packages", "Load or Save or Display the Commands History",
       "Collect Information About the Current R Session", "Compactly Display the Structure of an Arbitrary R Object",
       "Summarise Output of R Profiler", "Converting R Objects to BibTeX or LaTeX",
       "Download Packages from CRAN", "Display a text URL", "Defunct Functions in Package utils",
       "Deprecated Functions in Package utils", "View or List Vignettes",
       "Batch Execution of R", "DLL Version Information", "Install Add-on Packages from Sources",
       "Remove Add-on Packages", "R for Windows Configuration",
       "Build a DLL for Dynamic Loading", "Choose a List of Files Interactively",
       "Read/Write Text to/from the Windows Clipboard", "Get a Windows Handle",
       "Update HTML documentation files", "Report on Memory Allocation",
       "Select Items from a List", "Set or get the Window Title",
       "Dialog Boxes under Windows", "User Menus under Windows",
       "Auxiliary Functions for the Windows Port", "build", "Rprof",
       "Rtangle", "RweaveLatex", "Sweave", "SweaveSyntConv", "SweaveUtils",
       "apropos", "browseEnv", "browseURL", "bug.report", "capture.output",
       "citEntry", "citation", "close.socket", "compareVersion",
       "data", "data.entry", "debugger", "demo", "download.file",
       "edit", "edit.data.frame", "example", "file.edit", "fix",
       "getAnywhere", "assignInNamespace", "getS3method", "head",
       "help", "help.search", "help.start", "index.search", "installed.packages",
       "ls.str", "make.socket", "menu", "methods", "object.size",
       "package.skeleton", "packageDescription", "packageStatus",
       "page", "person", "prompt", "promptData", "read.fortran",
       "read.fwf", "read.socket", "recover", "remove.packages",
       "loadhistory", "sessionInfo", "str", "summaryRprof", "toLatex",
       "update.packages", "url.show", "utils-defunct", "utils-deprecated",
       "vignette", "BATCH", "DLL.version", "INSTALL", "REMOVE",
       "Rconsole", "SHLIB", "choose.files", "readClipboard", "getWindowsHandle",
       "link.html.help", "memory.size", "select.list", "setWindowTitle",
       "winDialog", "winMenuAdd", "flush.console"))
2: do.call("rbind", dbMat[, 1])
1: utils::help.search("tps")

Please follow the attached hyperlink to an important disclaimer
http://www.csfb.com/legal_terms/disclaimer_europe.shtml