[R] remedial stats education

Thomas Petzoldt thpe at hhbio.wasser.tu-dresden.de
Mon Sep 12 15:13:45 CEST 2005

Doran, Harold wrote:
> There is a Springer publication "All of Statistics: a concise course in
> statistical inference" by Larry Wasserman that might be what you are
> looking for. The book also has an emphasis on R and his web site has
> code and data sets for analysis of the examples used throughout.
>
> -Harold

My personal recommendation for students and collegues is as follows:

1) Dalgaard, P.: Introductory Statistics with R.
(for beginners, very understandable, R without too much programming)

2) Crawley, M.J. Statistical Computing. An introduction to data analysis
using S-Plus. (great for ANOVA like methods and very good self-teaching
how the methods work)

... and for further reading:

* Venables, W.N. and Ripley, B.D. Modern applied statistics with S.
(Systematic introduction into the S language and comprehensive reference
over many classical and modern statistical techniques. Some [but not
all] chapters are relatively demanding. The book, mostly called "MASS",
is a must for serious S/R users.)

* Pinheiro and Bates: Mixed-effects models in S and S-Plus.

* Box, Jenkins and Reinsel: Time series analysis. Forecasting and control.

* Legendre and Legendre: Numerical Ecology. 2nd edition.

... and many more ;-) depending on your skills and interests.

Thomas P.