[R] remedial stats education

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Mon Sep 12 14:57:24 CEST 2005

Given that your goal is understanding the fundamentals (a wise choice as it
is problematic attempting to build on an inadequate foundation, and
dangerous to use tools that you don't understand), I enthusiastically
recommend Peter Dalgaard's book, _Introductory Statistics with R_. Springer,
2002. ISBN 0-387-95475-9. http://www.biostat.ku.dk/~pd/ISwR.html.  It is
inexpensive, well written, lucid and very helpful.  After you've mastered
that (and since this is remedial work for you it will not take very long) I
further recommend Venables and Ripley, _Modern Applied Statistics with S_,
Fourth Edition. Springer, 2002. ISBN 0-387-95457-0.
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/MASS4/.  This book is more demanding and
covers a broad spectrum of contemporary statistical practice.

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com