[R] Change console language ?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 18:05:54 CEST 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Sérgio Nunes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty new to R, I've just installed version 2.1.1 on Windows.
> I have a simple (it seems) doubt - how do I change the Console default
> Language ?
>
> It's set to Portuguese but I would like to view it in English.

Do read the administration manual (on the help menu, via HTML help).
Or, from the rw-FAQ in R-2.2.0-beta

3.2 I want R in English (and not in French/Chinese/...)!

The default behaviour of R is to try to run in the language you run
Windows in.  Apparently some users want Windows in their native
language, but not R.  To do so, set `LANGUAGE=en' as discussed in Q2.2
and Q2.15.

You have not even told us what locale you are in, but I would be suprised
if this was Portugal and not Brazil.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk