[R] Disable LazyLoading mechanism completely

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 1 08:58:06 CEST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 31 March 2006 at 16:15, Paul Roebuck wrote:
> | Is there a global option somewhere that can completely
> | disable the LazyLoad option? I want all my packages
> | in source format for searching purposes, crippled by
> | the conversion to database format.
>
> AFAICT setting LazyLoad=No in DESCRIPTION might do the trick.
>
> For reasons I fail to understand I have to set it to that value for Debian
> builds of the Rcmdr package, and the resulting package does indeed have R
> code as plain sources. I'd agree with you that being able to read, and hence
> search, the code is a good thing but I also trust the R masters on the
> advantages of lazy loading.  There may be an option to diable it globally ...

Quite a large number of packages (including almost all using S4 methods)
*do not work* without lazyloading or saved images.  So this option would
just break other people's work.

Rcmdr comes with LazyLoad: no in its DESCRIPTION file (so I have no idea
why you need to do anything different).  John Fox and I worked out why
this was needed, and that lazy loading was not helpful as that package
does access almost all its code at startup.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk