[R] New behavior in estimable(), bug or feature?

CG Pettersson cg.pettersson at evp.slu.se
Thu Apr 6 16:44:32 CEST 2006

Hello all!

w2k, R-2.2.1. "update.packages" done today.

I just started to work with a new dataset, using lme() (library nlme) and
estimable() (library gmodels). I first wanted to establish the fixed
effects for eight fertiliser treatments (variable treat) coded as A to H.

Fitting and reducing a first model for grain yield went smoothly. When I
wanted to look at the fixed effects with estimable() I got an error
message claiming that I was using the wrong variable names, estimable
wanted the variable names in the form usually given by fixed.effects().

I changed the names in my matrix to the requested form, but got the same
error message. Then I changed to an old library with a variety trial
material using a matrix I _know_ worked two months ago, I got the same
type of error message.

What is happening?
Is there a new namecheck in estimable acting a little over-enthusiastic or
what?

Here are some output from R:

> trMat1

A 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
C 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
D 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
E 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
F 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
G 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
H 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
> formula(m4.y)
y.dm ~ treat - 1
> fixed.effects(m4.y)
  treatA   treatB   treatC   treatD   treatE   treatF   treatG   treatH
2065.267 4052.033 4571.479 4933.026 4680.980 5021.347 5063.306 5198.153
> estimable(m4.y, trMat1)
Error in FUN(newX[, i], ...) :
        Invalid parameter name(s): , , , , , , ,
        Valid names are: treatA, treatB, treatC, treatD, treatE, treatF,
treatG, treatH

All the best
/CG

--
CG Pettersson, MSci, PhD Stud.
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)
cg.pettersson at vpe.slu.se