[R] Generic code for simulating from a distribution.

matgopa1 at umbc.edu matgopa1 at umbc.edu
Mon Apr 10 06:05:22 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I have the code below to simulate samples of certain size from a
particular distribution (here,beta distribution) and compute some
statistics for the samples.

betasim2<-function(nsim,n,alpha,beta)
{
	sim<-matrix(rbeta(nsim*n,alpha,beta),ncol=n)
	xmean<-apply(sim,1,mean)
	xvar<-apply(sim,1,var)
	xmedian<-apply(sim,1,median)
simset<-data.frame(sampleno=seq1:nsim),means=xmean,vars=xvar,medians=xmedian)
	return(simset)
}

I can write a similar coding for any distribution individually.
Now, I would like to have a generic code, say if I specify the
distribution with the parameters and simulation and sample size I would
like to have the simulations done for the mentioned distribution and the
statistics performed.

I would appreciate any help in doing so?

Thanks for your time.
Mathangi

Mathangi Gopalakrishnan
Graduate student