[R] Configure error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 11 08:58:11 CEST 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, R. A. L. Carter wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I sent this message before but I don't think it got through because I
> wasn't registered.

It did appear:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-April/092079.html

(you could have checked the archives as easily as I did).

We didn't have anything useful to add, as you have not told us anything
like enough information.

R runs out of the box on many Linux variants, even on (guessing) x86_64.
There is a config.log, which you need to check for details of what went
wrong.

> I've been trying for several weeks to install R-2.2.1 on a PC with an
> AMD Athlon 64 2800*+* processor running Mandriva 2006_64.
> After unpacking R-2.2.1.tar.gz I ran ./configure However, configure
> stopped prematurely with the message  *"configure:27295: WARNING:
> gfortran and gcc disagree on int and double configure:27297: error:
> Maybe change CFLAGS or FFLAGS?"*  Altough I've looked in both the R_Help
> archive and R Installation and Administration,  I can't find any
> documentation which says what settings should be for CFLAGS or FFLAGS.
> I tried to mimic the settings shown on page 31 of R Installation and
> Administration but that failed too.*

Telling us a page number does not help: in what format and with what paper
size?  Much better to tell us what you actually did.

> Does anyone know what the settings should be for this case?

No, as we don't even know what compilers you are using.  Nor do we know of
a system on which this does not work out of the box *if* the compilers are
properly installed.

Since you seem not at all familiar with installing software and using
configure, the advice is to find local Mandriva help.  This is not an R
problem, and most likely one of your Fortran installation.