[R] www.r-project.org

Romain Francois francoisromain at free.fr
Wed Apr 26 09:25:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

To sum up :
* yes, the R website is operationnal. There is no reason whatsoever to
change its content.
* no javascript, no flash, no chartjunk !!
* rework the style, start wih the css file(s)
* stop with those frames, and use css to place some kind of fake frames
* maybe store the name of your CRAN in a cookie

What about
- place somewhere a div called 'Focus on a package' where we could have
a short presentation of a package, etc ... or for a CRAN task view (to
do that, php would be great, but we can do I don't know perl scripts to
generate static html pages)
- a direct link to download R, which will redirect to the appropriate
CRAN thanks to cookies
- Propose the Table of Contents of the last volume of R news.
- reduce the ratio (size of the head page graphic) / (information
directly accesible)
- move search, task views, and documentation from cran to www

Romain

 From roger bos :
> After all, the r-help list doesn't even like HTML in email, so it may
> not like too many fancy stuff on their website either.
html in email is evil. html in a website is normal.

 From Jon Baron :
> The only thing I might change is to replace the frames with some
> sort of CSS-based positioning.  HOWEVER, the new version of
> Internet Explorer may totally destroy the usefulness of CSS, so
> maybe it is better to leave things as they are for now.
What ! IE is not the only browser, and so not the better. Despite is
dominant position, i don't think all website will abandon doing css
because microsoft is not able to make its browser understand it.

--
visit the R Graph Gallery : http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques
mixmod 1.7 is released : http://www-math.univ-fcomte.fr/mixmod/index.php