[R] Summary method needed?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 2 20:29:28 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Christian Hennig wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm updating my fpc package at the moment and will add some new functions.
> I learned that there should be print and summary methods for the key
> functions.

for 'classes', I think.

> The purpose of the summary methods seems to be to reduce the
> possibly incredibly complex information in the function's output and the
> print method (print.summary.foo) should print an overview of the result.

Normally, summary() gives more information than print() would give
for a non-data object, often by manipulations on the object.

Now, the White Book said that summary produces `a synopsis of an object',
but that does not seem to be the practice for model-fitting classes even
in the White Book (but it is for data objects).

> But in some cases the print method will make use of more or less all the
> output information of the function. Is there any reason to implement a
> summary method in these cases?

Would a more concise print() method be useful?  If so the existing print()
could become summary().

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk