[R] getting sapply to skip columns with non-numeric data?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Aug 18 01:30:01 CEST 2006

There's something that either you have not thought of or neglected to tell
us:  If you have k variables in the data frame, you will need a data frame
of k variables and one row to be able to rbind() to the bottom of the
original one.  What are you going to put in place for non-numeric variables?

Perhaps this might help:

R> dat <- data.frame(f=factor(1:3), x=3:5, y=6:4)
R> rbind(dat, as.data.frame(lapply(dat, function(x) if (!is.numeric(x)) NA
else mean(x))))
      f x y
1     1 3 6
2     2 4 5