[R] Font-path error when starting X11 device in Gentoo

Toby Muhlhofer toby.m at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 18 01:46:14 CEST 2006

Dear R listers,

If I try to start the X11 device in Gentoo, I get the following
complaint from R:

-------------------
 > X11()
Error in X11() : could not find any X11 fonts
Check that the Font Path is correct.
-------------------

xset -q produces the following output:

-------------------
Keyboard Control:
   auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000002
   auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  30
   auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                         fadfffdfffdfe5ef
                         ffffffffffffffff
                         ffffffffffffffff
   bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
   acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
   prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
   timeout:  0    cycle:  0
Colors:
   default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
Font Path:

/usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
   Standby: 3600    Suspend: 3600    Off: 7200
   DPMS is Enabled
   Monitor is On
File paths:
   Config file:  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
   Modules path: /usr/lib/xorg/modules
   Log file:     /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Furthermore, no other graphics applications are complaining about not
finding fonts.

By the way, this happens both with the Gentoo ebuilds (2.2.1 and 2.3.1)
of R, as well as with the source tarball from the R website, compiled
manually (with X support, of course).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
	Toby