[R] R-update - what about packages and ESS?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 18 17:24:45 CEST 2006

Without knowing your OS this is hard to answer (and is the wrong list for
the ESS question).

For Windows users, the packages part is covered in the rw-FAQ.

For Unix-alikes, it all depends how the update was done, but normal
package update mechanisms (such as RPM) will not wipe out previously
installed R packages: nor will 'make install'.

In either case you don't need root access to install packages, as you can
use a private library.  We have things set up so a user's R_LIBS is
something like

	R_LIBS=~/Rlibrary:/usr/local/Rlibs:/usr/local/BioC

and then install.packages() automatically installs into the user's own
library (if it has been created).