[R] nnet() fit criteria

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 3 18:41:10 CET 2006

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Mike Lawrence wrote:

> I'm using nnet() for non-linear regression as in Ch8.10 of MASS. I
> understand that nnet() by default optimizes least squares. I'm looking
> to have it instead optimize such that the mean error is zero (so that it
> is unbiased). Any suggestions on how this might be achieved?

What makes you think least-squares does not achieve that?  At a guess you
mean the average prediction error over the training data in a regression
problem, and any non-linear regression with an intercept term achieves
that.  But 'it is unbiased' needs futher statements including what the
model is that what 'it' is supposed to be estimating unbiasedly in that
model.

Now for a non-linear regression you should be using linout = TRUE (as in
the reference you give), and then you do have a 'non-linear regression
with an intercept term'.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk