[R] lmer and a response that is a proportion

Cameron Gillies cgillies at ualberta.ca
Sun Dec 3 19:58:18 CET 2006

Greetings all,

I am using lmer (lme4 package) to analyze data where the response is a
proportion (0 to 1).  It appears to work, but I am wondering if the analysis
is treating the response appropriately - i.e. can lmer do this?

I have used both family=binomial and quasibinomial - is one more appropriate
when the response is a proportion?  The coefficient estimates are identical,
but the standard errors are larger with family=binomial.

Thanks very much for any insight you may have!
Cam

Cam Gillies
PhD Candidate
Biological Sciences