[R] lmer and a response that is a proportion

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Dec 3 23:10:17 CET 2006

Dear Cameron,

As far as I know, you can specify the response as a proportion, in which
case the binomial counts would be given via the weights argument -- at least
that's how it's done in glm(). An alternative that should be equivalent is
to specify a two-column matrix with counts of "successes" and "failures" as
the response. Simply giving the proportion of successes without the counts
wouldn't be appropriate.

> I have used both family=binomial and quasibinomial - is one
> more appropriate when the response is a proportion?  The
> coefficient estimates are identical, but the standard errors
> are larger with family=binomial.

The difference is that in the binomial family the dispersion is fixed to 1,
while in the quasibinomial family it is estimated as a free parameter. If
the standard errors are larger with family=binomial, then that suggests that
the data are underdispersed (relative to the binomial); if the difference is
substantial -- the factor is just the square root of the estimated
dispersion -- then the binomial model is probably not appropriate for the
data.

I hope this helps,
 John