[R] I do not understand this

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Thu Dec 7 22:58:09 CET 2006

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
>> A few days ago there was a thread on calling R from Delphi to which
>> there were several useful responses.  Now I responded as well, with
>> what I regard as a useful contribution.  Shortly after that, I was not
>> able to able to see the thread in my newsreader (Thunderbird).
>> Suddenly, yesterday I could see the thread again, and now it has
>> vanished, at least from my sight.
>>
>> Now.  Is there an error in my reader, or more likely, an error in my
>> use of the reader.  Or, has the thread been deleted for some reason. I
>> wonder ...
>>
>> Tom
>>
> How are you reading R-help?

Well, using Thunderbird with a filter, throwing everything with [R] in
the subject line into a category or box.

> Fundamentally, R-help is email based, so once a mail is sent, only the
> receiver is involved in where it gets (mis)filed.

That's what I thought, so it may have something to do with my
settings.  Strange, but I have never seen this before.

> If you are using a mail-to-news gateway like gmane, then there could be
> an issue with retention times. However, in the case of gmane, I doubt
> that would be the case because the thread is here:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/75135/focus=75164

OK.  That's a relief.  I'll switch both mode "paranoid" and "wonder"
to off and look at the settings of my mail program.  In any case,
thank you!!

And by the way, your book is very nice for an R newbie like me.

Tom

| Tom Backer Johnsen, Psychometrics Unit,  Faculty of Psychology |
| University of Bergen, Christies gt. 12, N-5015 Bergen,  NORWAY |
| Tel : +47-5558-9185                        Fax : +47-5558-9879 |
| Email : backer at psych.uib.no    URL : http://www.galton.uib.no/ |